Henrican Lady's Gown, Kirtle & Petticoat
Henrican Lady's Gown, Kirtle & Petticoat Sewing Pattern by Tudor Tailor
A complete Tudor costume in one pattern! Includes petticoat, French kirtle and gown patterns in various styles. Ideal for Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Princess Elizabeth and other ladies c1530-1560. The pack contains patterns for all the layers required (apart from a smock or chemise). Separate bodies (corset) are not necessary. With full instructions for choosing materials, sizing and constructing garments - perfect for reenactors.
Based on documentary descriptions, extant examples and paintings, including:
- Pair of bodies c1598 in Arnold, J (1985) Patterns of Fashion: The cut and construction of clothes for men and women c1560-1620, London: Macmillan
- Mary Tudor’s wardrobe accounts, 1556 (E101/427/11)
- Elizabeth I wardrobe accounts, 1576 & 1580 in Arnold, J (1988) Queen Elizabeth’s Wardrobe Unlock’d, Leeds: Maney pp. 155
- Two views of a woman wearing an English hood, Hans Holbein c1528-30 British Museum
- Portrait of Jane Seymour, Hans Holbein 1537 Royal Cabinet of Paintings, Mauritshuis
- Portrait of Catherine Parr, att. Master John c1545 National Portrait Gallery
Multi-sized pattern is available in 2 size groups.
Small includes bust sizes 31.5-39.5, waist sizes 24-32, and hip sizes 34-42. Large includes bust sizes 41.5-51.5, waist sizes 34-44, and hip sizes 44-54.
Please see back cover image for sizing chart. Please see front cover image for fabric and notion requirements.